Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The new grilled sandwiches of Kenny Rogers Roasters


Anyone with a job like mine where mere moments away from the computer could mean missed deadlines and extra hours of overtime can easily relate to eating on the job--more specifically, on the desk. That's why I take note of new food offerings at the nearby mall, make quick trips and order TO GO before heading back to the office to eat and type. My latest meal, two of the four new grilled sandwiches at Kenny Rogers Roasters--Tomato Pesto & Mozzarella and Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese.

I must admit, the billboard on Edsa and the posters at the store premise seduced my senses. So you can imagine my disappointment when I discovered that each sandwich was like 6" x 2.5" x 1.5" (luckily I had two--though I was was hoping to save the second one for the next morning), and seemed flattened beyond recognition (obviously a lot of food styling went into the ads). Even sadder were the wilted lettuce leaves of my salmon panino, with their brown edges.

But whatever the sandwiches lacked in appearance, they made up for in taste and texture. The toasted bread added a delightful crunch to my tomato sandwich which did not scrimp on pesto--perhaps a touch too salty for some, but just right for me (ooh, my blood pressure). And the mozzarella gave that stringy stretch we look for in most cheese dishes. The salmon and cream cheese was equally tasty (though at one point my tongue was hoping for some brine--maybe capers would have done the trick) with enough of the smokey fish and rich cheese to embrace the slices of bread. Flavor-wise, both made for a satisfying dinner.

My only real displeasure? That each sandwich is in truth no dinner fare; just a snack--and a pricey one at that.

KENNY ROGERS ROASTERS
New Grilled Sandwiches:

Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese (P159)
Ham & Cheese (P109)
Tomato, Pesto & Mozzarella (P99)
Four-Cheese (P99)

No comments:

Post a Comment